[FFmpeg-user] Is there a way to determine the level of compression

Bouke / edit 'B bouke at editb.nl
Sun Jun 4 16:20:23 EEST 2023

> On 4 Jun 2023, at 14:59, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>

>> Why not just run it ‘as usual’, and compare file sizes? If not
>> significant smaller, run a second with ‘-c:v copy’
>> (Compression will never increase quality, unless you need it for
>> filtering or alike.)
>
> Because compressing can take more as half an hour. (I am on really old
> hardware.)

Update hardware? (Sometimes energy consumption alone will pay for it, do some math…)

> So it would be quite nice if I could skip that step if it
> is no necessary.
> But if that is not possible …

I would not know, and also keep in mind that you still need to check the source for compatibility with your targeted player(s)
Btw, since you’re a Python developer, do you know of a good Python video player?

Bouke / edit 'B

videotoolshed.com
Van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS Nijmegen, the Netherlands
+31 6 21817248
If you want to send me large files, please use:
https://videotoolshed.wetransfer.com/