[FFmpeg-user] Is there a way to determine the level of compression

Bouke / Videotoolshed bouke at videotoolshed.com
Mon Jun 5 13:15:56 EEST 2023

> On 5 Jun 2023, at 11:59, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>
>  I was told it was because the low quality of my videos. But
> this file was significantly compressed. So I would expect slower to
> compress better. Not the case: that creates a 365.3 MB file. So about
> a third larger.
>
> <00007slower.log>

Your input is interlaced and you probably want a progressive output.
You did NOT de-interlace.

That makes (when there is motion) it way more complicated, and it will look plain ugly.
Try it with yadif or something else, see if that makes a difference.

Then, you also did not target QT player (-pix_fmt yuv420p IIRC)

Bouke

videotoolshed.com
Van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS Nijmegen, the Netherlands
+31 6 21817248
If you want to send me large files, please use:
https://videotoolshed.wetransfer.com/