[FFmpeg-user] Creating an MXF from an HLS stream...

Dan Elortegui dan at elortegui.com
Thu Jun 8 18:42:28 EEST 2023

I am taking in a 1080p59.94 10bit 4:2:2 HLS stream and converting to an mxf
with a video codec copy and an audio conversion to pcm (the audio
conversion happening automatically). I created a stream with timecode
burn-in and when I execute the command below:

ffmpeg -i "https://myinput/index.m3u8" -f segment -timecode "01:01:01:00"
-segment_time 600 -reset_timestamps 1 -c:v copy output_%03d.mxf

I get the following non-fatal error "Application provided invalid, non
monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1"

The file is created and in VLC the file plays correctly frame by frame. But
in premiere when I play frame by frame I get 3 frames ahead, then 2 frames
back... so the frame sequence would be something like ;03 ;01 ;02 ;06 ;04
;05 ;09 ;07 ;08

Using FFProbe I see the pts values in the frames entries follow a similar
pattern.  It's almost like Premiere does not know how to order the frames
back together but VLC does. Any thoughts on why this might be happening?
When I make a .ts file I don't get this issue, but I need MXF because
premiere can play an MXF file as a growing file.

I'm hoping there is some kind of bitstream filter or argument I can use
that will fix this.

Thanks!  And it was great meeting some of you at NAB in Las Vegas this year!