[FFmpeg-user] deprecated pixel format used, make sure you did set range correctly

Ferdi Scholten ferdi at sttc-nlp.nl
Sun Jun 11 12:13:38 EEST 2023

I make a slideshow of my pictures with:
>      ffmpeg -y -i %04d.jpg -i /home/cecil/Audio/YouTube/Symphony_No_5_by_Beethoven.mp3 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vcodec libx264 -crf 26 -acodec libmp3lame -qscale:a 9 -preset veryfast -vf zoompan=d=3:fps=.333:s=1280x960,framerate=25:interp_start=0:interp_end=255:scene=100 huizeDoorn.mp4
>
> It looks OK, but I get a lot of the following messages:
>      deprecated pixel format used, make sure you did set range correctly
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Should I be worried?
No you are not doing anything wrong, the warning is displayed because
the pixelformat of your input source (the jpeg file) uses a deprecated
pixelformat with a different range for luma and chroma as your output
pixelformat, this can lead to differences in color and/or brightness

yuvj422p is the deprecated pixelformat used by your jpg files (range
0-255 for luma and chroma) 16 bpp
yuv420p is the pixelformat of your output. (range 16-235 for luma and
16-240 for chroma) 12 bpp

So three conversions need to be made here:
yuv conversion from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0
range conversion for y
range conversion for uv

The warning might disappear (not tested this so not sure about it) if
you specify the pixelformat of your jpg file in your command as it is
now being autodetected by ffmpeg and the autodetection might be wrong