[FFmpeg-user] Ffmpeg lying about video width and height

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:03:21 EEST 2023

Kieran O Leary <kieran.o.leary at gmail.com> writes:

> This is PAL video with a pixel aspect ratio that tells a player to display
> the image in widescreen. This transformation turns 720x576 stored pixels
> into 1024x576 displayed pixels.
> So there are 720x576 of actual pixel data present in the file, but the
> metadata in the file is telling players to display 1024 pixels wide.
> So Ffmpeg is telling the truth, and mediainfo is telling the truth.
> Mediainfo also has the source pixel width in the output as well with a
> value of 720.

Thanks.  Now I wish to scale this video.  Normally I do so with something like:

 $ ffmpeg -i mad1.mp4 -qscale 0 -ss 1:04 -to 1:38.3  -vf scale=854:-1 test.mp4

but it is effective only upon the source: how to make it also effective on to
the displayed output video so that it itself, and not only its original source,
is 854 wide?

Thanks,

Rodolfo