[FFmpeg-user] rgb8

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Tue Jun 20 10:13:50 EEST 2023

Am 20.06.2023 um 02:53 schrieb Roger Pack:
> Can other apps use this dshow device?

In VLC player it's incorrectly shown as a noisy rgb8 color video. Same
output as in FFmpeg.
In SharpCap I can open the camera directly (using the camera
manufacturer's API), that works without problems, the data is
uncompressed 8-bit or 16-bit grayscale.
If I open it in SharpCap as a DirectShow device, then the video is very
noisy but grayscale (no colors). Probably rgb8 converted to grayscale.

>    If you plunk it into
> graphstudionext does it work, what media format do you see on the
> wires?

See the attached screenshot.

> I guess the only question is "is it actually palletized"?
> Based on the source it seems like we weren't sure...

What else could it be? DirectShow doesn't support 8-bit gray.
It's sure that the pixel format is either 8-bit gray, or pal8 with a
palette which contains 256 levels of gray.

Michael