[FFmpeg-user] Building ffmpeg

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Sun May 28 15:00:05 EEST 2023

I was told that the problems I had with ffmpeg was that I had a to old
version. That was not true. There is a bug in ffmpeg, that even bites
harder in the latest version.
But I build it, so why should I not keep it.

Just wondering if things could have been done better.
I did:
    git clone https://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
    cd ffmpeg/
    ./configure --enable-gpl            \
                --enable-version3       \
                --enable-libx264        \
                --enable-libx265        \
                --enable-libmp3lame     \
                --enable-libfontconfig  \
                --enable-libfreetype    \
                --enable-libfribidi
    make -j$(nproc)
    sudo make install

Just wondering if thing could be done better? I use h264, but there is
a chance I will also start using h265 so I added that. If I understood
it correctly the last three are needed to be able to use the drawtext
filter.
Are there any other things that would be prudent to add, because the
chance is high I will need it in the near future? Or make ffmpeg
function better?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer