[FFmpeg-user] Requesting colormatrix advice

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Tue Nov 7 11:08:08 EET 2023

 I have no idea how colour handling in x265 works so I can't really advise on specifically how to set it up. Possibly it's documented somewhere. One of the problems with this (which comes up in some high end post production software quite often) is that it's sometimes not very clear whether we're specifying what we expect the input data to be, or what we expect it to be converted to. For instance, I'm not sure what's meant by "transfer" in this context.
> It's 1920x1080. I 'heard' of "studio swing". What is it relative to what x265 expects (above)? Do you know?
I'm possibly guilty of indulging in jargon here; by "studio swing" I'm referring to a reduced data range often from 16-235 for the luminance channel.
> I feel a headache coming on. Let's assume ffprobe is correct and colormatrix is undefined on the discs
What's on the disc will be in Rec. 709. I honestly don't know what data ranges blu-rays use. It's often fairly clear if you can look at it and it looks all lifted, that'll be why. Unfortunately there are a lot of moving parts here.