[FFmpeg-user] Requesting colormatrix advice

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Tue Nov 7 14:39:04 EET 2023

 I don't think you need to do this for a second - what's on the disc will be 709. That's how blu-rays work, unless they're the oddball Sony 4K thing.
The whole purpose of colour grading is to put whatever comes off the film scanner into 709.
    On Tuesday, 7 November 2023 at 12:04:34 GMT, Rob Hallam <ffmpeg at roberthallam.com> wrote:

 On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 at 03:42, <markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Question:
> Do you have any advice regarding colormatrix?
> Thanks for any advice for relieving a headache
> --Mark.

If you haven't already, it might be worth tackling this from another
direction. Look at the credits for the remaster, figure out who was
involved* in doing the actual work, and shoot them an email or
message?

"Hi, I have a copy of the {WHICHEVER} bluray, can I pick your brain
about the colorspace / film digitizing† process you used? (if it
wasn't you, who would you recommend I ask)"

Their answers might make it easier to figure out which dials and
levers to adjust, colorspace or otherwise, if your 601-to-709
experiment doesn't produce acceptable results. They might be
interesting from a process perspective regardless.

Cheers,
Rob

*†: I can think of a case of a 90s Paramount series that was shot on
film, but which also used a modest amount of CGI to augment the
remastering of VFX- whatever CGI they used presumably was done to
match the film in color-grading terms. If this case is the same as
your case, perhaps Wade Felker or Dylan Hucklesby might be good places
to start. Good luck!