[FFmpeg-user] Seeking Efficient Video Redaction Using FFMPEG with Limited Memory Usage

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Nov 7 19:30:46 EET 2023

On 11/6/2023 9:13 AM, sreekar manchukonda wrote:

> I'm seeking help on how to utilize ffmpeg to apply an extensive number of
> filters—specifically over 2000, each filter including a crop, boxblur, and
> overlay—to a video over an hour long.

This is a single video, being processed once, with 2000 filters being
applied? That in itself sounds like a recipe for disaster, and that a more
purpose-built editing system would do a better job (e.g. openshot or
shotcut, both are open-source). You may be able to create an EDL (Edit
Decision List) from your filters to drive the editor software.

If you have storage space, you could also use uncompressed intermediate
files and successively run smaller groups of filters on them.

Later,

z!