[FFmpeg-user] Seeking Efficient Video Redaction Using FFMPEG with Limited Memory Usage

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 00:14:55 EET 2023

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 11:13 AM sreekar manchukonda
<sreekarcool123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm seeking help on how to utilize ffmpeg to apply an extensive number of
> filters—specifically over 2000, each filter including a crop, boxblur, and
> overlay—to a video over an hour long. The intention is to redact certain
> sections of the input at various times without consuming excessive memory.
>
> Could you advise if there's a method to manage thread pooling to limit the
> number of concurrent threads to prevent memory overflow?
>
> Also, I'm looking for a strategy to process these threads in a sequence,
> incorporating the output directly into the final video, while periodically
> clearing the memory utilized by intermediate filter operations. Presently,
> memory is only freed after the complete processing concludes.

Plex Media Server does this better than I have seen elsewhere.  It
takes an entire video with audio and splts it up into time sections
totranscode segments before plaback.  This keeps memory and disk usage
low.  You can probably get the source they use in the OpenPlex project
if you want to look at it.