[FFmpeg-user] A question about video encoding.

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:30:27 EET 2023

пн, 13 нояб. 2023 г., 14:35 Aditya Dandavate <adityadandavate04 at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, 12 Nov, 2023, 11:15 pm Andrew Randrianasulu, <
> randrianasulu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > вс, 12 нояб. 2023 г., 20:23 Aditya Dandavate <
> adityadandavate04 at gmail.com
> > >:
> >

> > > So, Should I stick to h264_qsv or mpeg4 ? In general, which encoder
> gives
> > > higher quality at the same bitrate ?
> > >

> > Hardware encoders used to be not good at 2-4-6 Mbs range for live
> > streaming, but from existence of some bluray compat option in nvenc
> wrapper
> > I can guess at BluRay bitrates they might be quite good?
>

> I am using Intel, so I can't use Nvenc. So, which encoder should I stick to
> for better quality or higher quality at same bitrate, h264_qsv or mpeg4 ?

well, from brief search g3240 Pentium from around  year 2014.

I have laptop with just slightly earlier Intel CPU/GPU (Sandybridge era),
but I only tried h264_vaapi, and not QSV.

for me 1080p 24 fps re-encode from yt-dlp download,  at default setting was
ok quality-wise, but I might be not best person to ask about visual quality.

Back in the day (2003-5) I used  ffmpeg (mencoder) for live-capturing tv /
vhs stream with mpeg4 or asv2 (Asus video codec 2). Probably not best
quality, but back then there was no hw encoders (for me, under Linux) so
only way to encode was lowering capture resolution until process become
realtime at 25 fps.

You probably do not need strictly realtime encode, so ...

I guess it also depend on where exactly you intend to play this stream. If
intended device only have mpeg4 (ASP) decoder, or can't decode h264 stream
at given resolution - then stick to mpeg4.

If on the contrary your hardware ONLY can accelerate h264 stream as encoded
by hw encoder - then go for it, if you are ok with quality (hw encoders
might behave a bit different comparing to software ones when scene abruptly
changes ....)

Honestly, people were writing multipage articles comparing various codecs
at various resolutions and input sequences. But for non-scientific use  -
just trust your eyes, I guess?