[FFmpeg-user] does ffmpeg support MVC (3D BluRays)?

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:59:28 EET 2023

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 11:31 PM Philippe Cerfon <philcerf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there.
>
> I couldn't find a definitive answer on this.
> Some Wikipedia articles and stackoverflow questions claim ffmpeg would
> not support playback of MVC (and thus 3D BluRays).

IIRC MVC in h264 is not supported.

> I don't have a 3D projector or anything the likes yet, but still
> wanted to check whether some Videos would actually contain 3D
> information.
>
> So basically I though via ffmpeg's stereo3d filter
> (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Stereoscopic) I might be able to get the
> 3D BluRay into a side-by-side picture, which should then be similar
> but of course a bit different.
>
> However, when doing so the results are not really as I'd expect them:
> Each side is only roughly half of the full picture. And the same
> happens also when I do it on a BluRay that for sure has no 3D.

stereo3d filter is for anaglyph presentation of decoded 3d frames and some
other minor features.
supporting alternating, top/bottom, left/right etc.

But as usual:
- missing ffmpeg version
- missing full uncut ffmpeg command line and its output
- missing input files

> I further saw that there are probably some OpenSource MVC decoders:
> https://github.com/carrardt/h264-tools
>
> https://github.com/Britz/FFmpeg (was a master thesis with H.264 MVC
> support for ffmpeg)
>

> So should that work already, or could I open a feature request somewhere?
> :-)

IIRC H.264 MVC is alternating frames 3d format.