[FFmpeg-user] drawtext filter missing

Tobias Rapp t.rapp at noa-archive.com
Wed Nov 29 10:25:53 EET 2023

On 28/11/2023 21:40, Leo Butler via ffmpeg-user wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I ran into this problem with the current Debian testing build, so I
> thought I would try the static build. Both are compiled with
> --enable-libfreetype but both barf on a drawtext filter. I am attaching
> the log file from the static build.
>
> According to:
>
> https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#drawtext-1
>
> the libfreetype library should be sufficient.

Recent versions of the drawtext filter now also depend on libharfbuzz. I
also did run into this when cross-compiling a static build of FFmpeg.
Unfortunately the harfbuzz library has some other non-trivial
dependencies in turn, like GLib and Cairo, and uses Meson for building
(see https://harfbuzz.github.io/building.html).

In my opinion it would have been nice if the libharfbuzz dependency of
the drawtext filter could be made optional, for those that do not mind
non-perfect positioned characters - or just use monospaced fonts anyway.

Regards,
Tobias