[FFmpeg-user] Trying to remember how I did this.....

Laine llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 4 10:27:45 EEST 2023

> On Oct 4, 2023, at 1:36 AM, Mark Dm <markosjal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I had some DVD Video that I had converted using ffmpeg some years ago. What
> I did was converted NTSC DVD video (4x3) to 960x720 @59.94 FPS and the
> result was incredible. I had found a forum some time later where another
> user claimed he had done the same and he too had incredible results. The
> result as I recall is way better than deinterlacing and I still have some
> of the videos I upscaled this way. . It essentially creates a frame
> for every field and if I pause the video I may see a slight blur but no
> scan lines. I also see no scan lines while video is playing
>
> I do remember that I did it all with ffmpeg command line conversions. It
> does NOT use deinterlacing as that throws away half the resolution, and
> results in visible scan lines. Instead it increases the frame rate by two
> and I chose to upscale to 720P. As I recall I also did some PAL as well as
> NTSC using the same method.
>
> I am looking to recover this method if I can as I will be transferring a
> bunch of Digital8 videos and want to do it the same way to create mp4 files
> at 720P at 59.94FPS
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> THanks
>
> Mark

For NTSC DVD you might want pullup. There’s more than one way to apply pullup. What normally works best for me for NTSC DVD is to specify the output frame rate with "-r 24000/1001" and use some sort of fieldmatch video filter such as “fieldmatch" alone or  "fieldmatch=order=tff:combmatch=none,decimate”. You may find that it isn’t necessary to specify the 24.976 frame rate. Use the filter before scaling or cropping in the filter chain. The source video needs to be pretty clean regarding pulldown (without or nearly without any dropped frames). You should be able to identify the pulldown pattern in your source by stepping through it frame by frame with a video player app such as IINA. By default it’s the “.” (period) key. If it’s telecine, you’ll be able to observe 3 progressive frames followed by 2 pairs of interlaced frames. Something to try, anyway.

L. Lee