[FFmpeg-user] Meaning of -color_range 2 ?

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Sat Oct 7 17:17:22 EEST 2023

Am 01.10.23 um 12:02 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
> Hi,
>
> I guess it stands for "-color_range limited", but even that I don't understand what it means.
> Where does the calculation "MPEG (219*2^(n-8))" come from?

My question is because of this suggestion: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop#LosslessRecording

If "-color_range 2" means "-color_range limited", then ffmpeg would take the input from the desktop screen as limited RGB range, which probably is not wanted, as I assume a normal desktop would use the full RGB range, and so the resulting video would have corrupted colors.