[FFmpeg-user] A question about video codecs.

Classic SSG Enjoyer adityadandavate04 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 19:07:56 EEST 2023

Hello,

I am a user of FFMPEG. Its a great software. It gets 10/10 from me!

Sir, as you know that libx264 is widely used and other video codecs like
mpeg2video, theora etc, are not much used today.

So, as time will go on, its likely that video codecs like VP9, HEVC, AV1,
VVC will be the video codecs of the future as the world is transferring
from resolutions like 720p and 1080p to 4K, 8K UHD resolutions and these
codecs provide significant bitrate savings over AVC.

But, when HEVC, VP9, etc codecs rule the world in future years e.g 10
years, then will the support of old video codecs at like libx264 be removed
or will FFMPEG keep supporting the video codecs at that time ?