[FFmpeg-user] Same number of frames dropped and duplicated; What does that mean?

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Sun Oct 29 20:31:46 EET 2023

Am 29.10.23 um 18:53 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 6:08 PM Ulf Zibis<Ulf.Zibis at cosoco.de>  wrote:
>
>> Am 29.10.23 um 17:04 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#toc-vfrdet
>
> At end it will output number of frames detected as having variable delta
> pts, and ones with constant delta pts. If there was frames with variable
> delta, than it will also show min, max and average delta encountered.
Yes I understand, but in which unit the delta is measured, is it nano seconds or what?
In your linked document this is not mentioned.

> You can increase output framerate  for constant frame rate video until
> errors about dropped frames disappear. Or save it to container that support
> variable frame rate.

Does this mean to use "-fps_mode passthrough"?

As a first try, I have used "-fps_mode drop".
This resulted in a video with 1110244 fps instead 25.
Weird !

> Could also inspect those frames and see if they have any real info and are
> not dupes of some other frames, either manually or using some filters.

Good idea !

-Ulf