[FFmpeg-user] -bsf hevc_metadata

Gyan Doshi ffmpeg at gyani.pro
Fri Sep 1 20:09:25 EEST 2023

On 2023-09-01 10:34 pm, Phoney at neo.rr.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to correct bad SARs via '-bsf' -- DARs are also bad but
> I'll fix them next.
> The error is: "Codec 'aac' (86018) is not supported by the bitstream
> filter 'hevc_metadata'."
> I'm not transcoding. I'm not using 'aac'.
> I don't see why the command is failing.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> -- Mark.
>
> E:>ffmpeg -i "SOURCE.mp4" -bsf hevc_metadata=sample_aspect_ratio=64/45
> "TARGET.mp4"

`-bsf` is a per-stream option, so without a stream-specifier, the filter
is applied to all streams in the output.

`hevc_metadata` can only be applied to video streams with codec hevc, so ffmpeg tries to apply the bsf to audio stream, the bsf complains.

Instead, use `-bsf:v` to apply it only to video streams.

Regards,
Gyan