[FFmpeg-user] Missing emails as cause of domain relocation

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 4 15:59:47 EEST 2023

Am 04.09.23 um 14:52 schrieb Ulf Zibis:

> Am 04.09.23 um 14:43 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>>

>> Am 04.09.23 um 14:35 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
>>> because of a domain relocation, my email was not reachable from
>>>
>>> Is it possible to resend the missing messages for
>>> ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org and ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org?
>>
>> no - that's not how email works
>>
>> but that's just 3 days - why should you lose any mail because of 3
>> times downtime as long as you did not reject inbound mail?
> What you please mean by "3 times downtime" and "inbound mail"?

i meant 3 days

>> even we retry for 3 days (maximal_queue_lifetime) while the postfix
>> default is 5 days
>
> My downtime was a little less than 3 days, so why does the retry not work?

because it takes time?

the interval of retries increases as it makes no sense trying every 5
minuts for one moron which don't manage a server relocation

seriously - the expected downtime is seconds to minutes when properly
planned even for thousands of accounts

* new system online
* DNS TTL down to 5 minutes
* imapsync