[FFmpeg-user] MP4 with 9 subtitle streams

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 20:04:50 EEST 2023

On Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at 12:21 PM Ferdi Scholten <ferdi at sttc-nlp.nl> wrote:

> > -snip-
> >> I don't think it's the number of subs
> > I agree.
> >
> >> but rather the subrip format (aka. codec)
> > I don't agree. HandBrake has no problem with it. Whatever HandBrake
> > can do, ffmpeg can also do. The matter is How.
>
> srt subtitles are not officially supported by the mp4 specifications.

Do you know how I can get the MP4 specifications? And... what
percentage of the things being done are in specifications? 100%? 75%?
I find the MPEG specifications (ITU, actually) to be vague.

> They need to be converted to TTXT format,

What is TTXT format? Do you know how I can get specifications?

> Furthermore for ffmpeg to do
> that the encoding of the srt file needs to be UTF8, other formats are
> (supposedly) not supported. (default encoding for srt is Windows-1252)

Okay, fine. (I've never seen an SRT that wasn't UTF8.)