[FFmpeg-user] buffer underflow (?)

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 17:55:06 EEST 2023

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 10:38 AM Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 29.09.23 um 16:33 schrieb Mark Filipak:
> > This is an ffmpeg architecture question, so I don't have a specific log.
>
> but you have real outputs
>
> > When concatenating involving only demuxing and muxing, I sometimes get
> > "buffer underflow". Why underflow? It's not a real time process.
>
> you are long enough on the list to know that copy&paste of the whole
> input/output is required

Okay. I'll explain. When I tried
ffmpeg -i "concat:c:\1.mp4|2.mp4 .."
and that failed on "duplicate MOOV Atom", I converted the MP4s, 1: to
MKVs, and 2: to MPEGs, and 3: to VOBs, and repeated with each of them.
In one of them I got "buffer underflow".

I woke up this morning -- I'm in the US -- asking myself, "buffer
underflow? How is that possible?" I don't remember which of the
concats: MKVs or MPEGs or VOBs, did that. So, I don't have a log. A
log should not be required to ask: "How is a buffer underflow possible
when it's not a real time process?"