[FFmpeg-user] Is there an equivalent of Drobox Lepton but for h.264 videos?

Stéphane Archer archerstephane at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 17:10:18 EEST 2023

On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 10:00 AM Andrew Randrianasulu <
randrianasulu at gmail.com> wrote:

> сб, 30 сент. 2023 г., 16:58 Stéphane Archer <archerstephane at gmail.com>:
>
> > Is there an equivalent of Drobox Lepton but for h.264 videos?
> > Lepton is a lossless compression algorithm to compress jpeg at around 20%
> > there initial file size without any data loss. This is ideal to
> > achieve jpeg.
> > What about h.264 videos?
> >

> well, h264 videos already heavy and usually lossy compressed, any further
> compression will be not lossless

lepton works on jpeg that are lossy, yet they manage to have a smaller file
size adding a lossless compression on top of it.
I'm not sure why it won't be possible to do the same on a h.264 file and
get a smaller file size. I know h.265 and av1 have lossless video
compression. And I recently heard about FFV1.

--
Best Regards,

Stephane Archer