[FFmpeg-user] Is there an equivalent of Drobox Lepton but for h.264 videos?

Stéphane Archer archerstephane at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 19:31:07 EEST 2023

On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 11:00 AM David Bernat <david.bernat at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Been very seriously considering design scope. Dropbox is a no-go. Want to
> connect offline to describe your use case?
>

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 10:10 AM Stéphane Archer <archerstephane at gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 10:00 AM Andrew Randrianasulu <
> > randrianasulu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > сб, 30 сент. 2023 г., 16:58 Stéphane Archer <archerstephane at gmail.com
> >:

> > 20%
> > > >

> > > well, h264 videos already heavy and usually lossy compressed, any
> further
> > > compression will be not lossless
> > >

> > lepton works on jpeg that are lossy, yet they manage to have a smaller
> file
> > size adding a lossless compression on top of it.
> > I'm not sure why it won't be possible to do the same on a h.264 file and
> > get a smaller file size. I know h.265 and av1 have lossless video
> > compression. And I recently heard about FFV1.

Dear David, I don't understand what you mean by "design scope".

I would like to try a different analogy

If the data was text and I wanted lossy compression then I would replace
all the vowels with an "a" and then compress the resulting data with gzip.

now if I switch gzip by using lzma instead, I would end up with a file
smaller or the same size as the gzip version. Why does lossless h.265 or
lossless av1 give me a larger file size than the original h.264? Why is
this different for video?

I hope my text compression analogy was clear.

--
Best Regards,

Stephane Archer