[FFmpeg-user] Triggering VBR in audio codecs who doesn't have native VBR support.

Aditya Dandavate adityadandavate04 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 06:22:25 EET 2024

Is it possible to trigger VBR mode by setting different values for
-maxrate, -minrate and -b:v even for those audio codecs who doesn't have
support for VBR ?

e.g mp2 doesn't have VBR support in ffmpeg, but it supports bitrates from
32 to 384 kbps. So, if I set -minrate to 32k, -maxrate to 384k, and -b:v to
the average of 32+384=208k, then will it automatically trigger VBR mode in
mp2 in FFMPEG as well ?

I don't use mp2 much, because I encode videos with FFMPEG for Youtube
uploading, so I use Opus (with the libopus encoder) the most, but I am
asking just out of curiosity.