[FFmpeg-user] Towards better trims & concatenations

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Sun Jan 7 00:20:44 EET 2024

Mark:

On 2024-01-06 11:52, Mark Filipak wrote:
> Below is what I plan to submit to trac. I welcome comments and
> corrections. …

Good for you, digging into the details and specifics of how FFMpeg
performs trims and concatenations.

But what I am missing here is a concise problem statement.

You say you plan to "submit to trac". Is this a bug report? Your message
does not say that directly.

If it is a bug report, what is the bug title? It should be a concise
(1-10 words) statement of what is incorrect.

What is the bug summary? It should a concise (1 paragraph) summary of
the problem.

The example commands you give seem to be a pretty specific set of
instructions for "how to reproduce".

What is the "observed behaviour"?  Is it something to do with the total
number of packets in the "son" videos?  Or the frame number of the first
non-black frame?

What is the "expected behaviour"?

What number of packets, or frame number, do you expect to see in each video?

Without these parts spelled out, a bug report is hard to reproduce, and
hard to confirm as fixed.  That makes it more or less non-actionable.
And I am guessing you are hoping to motivate action.

Also, what does "h:\BDMV\STREAM\00305.m2ts" refer to?  Is that a
standard video which I can get a copy of somewhere? I don't see that you
explain that. Without having the same source material as you, it is hard
to reproduce the same results.

It may be that this test methodology reveals multiple bugs, which might
be better pursued if reported separately.

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt