[FFmpeg-user] Towards better trims & concatenations

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 04:54:31 EET 2024

On 1/7/24 20:24, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> On 2024-01-06 19:24, Mark Filipak wrote:
>> On 1/6/24 17:20, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
>>> But what I am missing here is a concise problem statement.

I'll work hard to implement all your suggestions. They are good and I appreciate the help. I've not
done this sort of thing before.

>>> Also, what does "h:\BDMV\STREAM\00305.m2ts" refer to?
>>
>> That's the mother video from which the clone and sons are made.
>>
>>> Is that a standard video which I can get a copy of somewhere?
>>
>> Nope.
>>
> That presents an obstacle...

The 'mother' is an M2TS. I'll try trimming it '-to 34.076' while leaving the beginning intact. The
problem is that ffmpeg changes the DTSs and PTSs of the copy.

For example, 00.mp4 is the 'mother's clone'. If I make 01.mp4..06.mp4 from 00.mp4 instead of from
00305.m2ts, the result is different -- things work out 'better', not just trimming, but other
things, too, like audio time_base gets acted on.

How can I trim 00305.m2ts '-to 34.076' without altering the TSs and other things?