[FFmpeg-user] '-t' versus '-to'

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sun Jan 14 05:57:25 EET 2024

On 1/13/2024 7:37 PM, DEF wrote:
> other times you want to trim, you know your start time and end time
> but perhaps you are lazy to calculate the duration.

Or don't see a need because you know the points :), AFAICT most human
editors work that way.

> the you use -to to denote your_position_  in the video  as in
>
> -ss 00:12:03 -to 15:04:08 for example.

Brings another question- if you want to select 15 seconds and no additional
frames starting at 00:00:03.0 do you give the out point as 00:00:18.0 or
:17.999 or :17.29 (for a frame count, not a fraction of a second)? I suspect
.999 will do the job, but it's cumbersome and not as simple to calculate. (I
prefer frame numbers, myself.)

Later,

z!
in the land of 29.97