[FFmpeg-user] OT: a term for trying to avoid making mistakes due to unfamiliarity with a subject

Rob Hallam ffmpeg at roberthallam.com
Tue Jan 16 14:59:29 EET 2024

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 12:39, Rob Hallam <ffmpeg at roberthallam.com> wrote:

> (off topic but asking here as someone might remember the term)
>
> In the last year or two there was - I think - a user on this ML who
> prefixed or suffixed their query with wording to the effect of,
>
> "I am new to this so I don't know what I don't know, so please help me
> avoid leaving out needed info"
>
> They used a shorthand term that I think was an eponym for this- can
> anyone remind me what it was?

To quickly close the loop: it was the "Anosognosic's Dilemma", from
this thread in November:

https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2023-November/057183.html

Searching email by unread and for combinations of new / newbie / etc
got me there in the end. Via Sod's Law / Rubber Duck principle- had I
not publicly asked the question, I'd never have found the answer
myself.

Cheers and back to your regularly scheduled programme,
Rob