[MEncoder-users] MPlayer and MEncoder problem with a 2 second clip

L. Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 12 21:01:00 CET 2011

On 12/12/11 1:13 PM, "Lobster" <lobo at lobs.sytes.net> wrote:

> On 13/12/2011 6:13 a.m., L. Lee wrote:
>> I'm wondering why I'm not able to play or convert this 2-second clip with
>> MPlayer or MEncoder. It's telecined and interlaced 1920X1080. I used
>> SVN-r34422, compiled a few days ago.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42718751/2_Second_Clip.mp4
>>
>> Here's the media info (raw video is 60 fps interlaced):
>>
>> http://pastie.org/pastes/3005746
>>
>> This is a typical problem for the video I normally work with, and I'm hoping
>> to find a solution. VLC has no trouble with it, nor does QuickTime Player. I
>> can step through the 30 fps deinterlaced frames and see them correctly
>> through the entire clip with QuickTime Player, but when I try it with
>> MPlayer's "." shortcut, frames are skipped.
>>
>> Here's a sample command line I've used for MEncoder, which deinterlaces and
>> converts to 24 fps. The reason I'm not ready to blame the video source is
>> that the frames skipped by both MPlayer and MEncoder aren't skipped by other
>> players.
>>
>> "mencoder 2_Second_Clip.mp4 -o Inverse_Telecine_2_Second_Clip.mp4  -nosound
>> -vf filmdint=io=30:24/fast=0,softskip,scale=1280:720,harddup -mc 0 -noskip
>> -ovc x264 -x264encopts
>> crf=28:bitrate=1375:nocabac:level_idc=31:bframes=0:global_header:qcomp=0.7:t
>> hreads=auto:subq=7:frameref=3:partitions=all:trellis=1:qp_step=4 -of lavf
>> -lavfopts format=mp4 -fps 60000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001"
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Laine Lee
>
> Try adding -demuxer mov  to your command line for that file.

Thanks, but that doesn't make any difference. The same frames still get
skipped. I even tried to demux and extract the h264 stream with ffmpeg, then
remux with MP4Box with the -mpeg4 option, and the playback time doubles
(among other undesirable results, which I'm not proficient enough to
explain), but the frames are still skipped. Even "yadif=3:1,mcdeint=2:1:10"
skips the frames.

Laine Lee