[MEncoder-users] MEncoder outputs "could not find matching colorspace"

Cristian Manea cristian.manea348 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 05:52:31 CEST 2011

If I add

-vf format=i420

to mencoder or mplayer, they still output

Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
> e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.

but if I add the scale filter, there is one additional message in the
output:

[swscaler @ 0x8a38540] using unscaled yuv420p -> yuv420p special converter

what is i420 ? why i420 ? is x264 requiring a video format different than
that of an mpeg2/vob/dvd video stream ? if so, how do I determine the right
type of conversion, in order to convert from the format of the source to a
format that x264 accepts as input ? I have't seen these type of colorspace
conversions in the filter list of other mencoder users, or in the manual...