[MPlayer-cygwin] call for cygwin help

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Mon Nov 10 03:05:54 CET 2003

First off,
Yes, I know, send this to the -cygwin list.  CC'd.

If anything I describe below sounds familiar, or if you have any
workarounds or debug techniques to recommend, then please do.
Otherwise, feel free to ignore.

I'm working on cygwin mplayer again, and I feel like I've made a fair
amount of progress with my packages.  However, my latest builds are
all messed up.  They work fine from a cygwin bash prompt, but given
identical arguments from explorer, it gets really strange.  I'm seeing
lots of bitrot in the input system, it seems.  When I press 'f' to
toggle fullscreen, it acts as if I just slammed my face on the keyboard.

Now, these latest packages are built under latest cygwin using (sadly)
latest gcc for cygwin. (3.3.1-3)  I thought it might be a compiler bug,
but I can only downgrade as far back as 3.2 without compiling gcc
myself.  All the versions of gcc I can try with prebuilt packages (3.2,
3.3.1-2, and 3.3.1-3) all produce these results on my system. (Crusoe
laptop running XP.)  Older packages I made during the summer work fine
under the same conditions on the same system.  (Even with same cygwin
DLL.)

If I hadn't just written so much code and spent so much time organizing
the patchset, I'd just give up.  I'm so frustrated.  Any help, comments,
or suggestions is appreciated.

--Joey

--
"Of the seven dwarves, the only one who shaved was Dopey.
That should tell us something about the wisdom of shaving."