[MPlayer-cygwin] call for cygwin help

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Wed Nov 12 19:21:58 CET 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:03:32AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Joey Parrish writes:
>  > Now, these latest packages are built under latest cygwin using (sadly)
>  > latest gcc for cygwin. (3.3.1-3)  I thought it might be a compiler bug,
>  > but I can only downgrade as far back as 3.2 without compiling gcc
>  > myself.  All the versions of gcc I can try with prebuilt packages (3.2,
>  > 3.3.1-2, and 3.3.1-3) all produce these results on my system. (Crusoe
>  > laptop running XP.)
>
> There is gcc-2.95.3-10 available for Cygwin, maybe try that one?

Yes, but it is no longer available to download in many places.  I just
found the package yesterday.  It took me a whole week.  Maybe I'm just a
putz, though.  What helped, though, was knowing the entire version name.
Searching for 2.95.3-10 finally found me a mirror with a copy.

On that note, it turns out not to be a compiler bug giving me problems.
Additionally, gcc 2.95 doesn't even compile mplayer under cygwin.  I
remember now what it was like when I started trying to compile cygwin
mplayer way back when.  Gcc 2.95 under cygwin segfaults under conditions
I can't quite pinpoint.  It's usually fixed by changing the order of the
#include directives.  Grrrr.  So I'm back to 3.3.1.

What did turn out to be the problem is kind of interesting, though.
If you compile mplayer with -mwindows, then you get no console window.
It's still using the cygwin layer, but it just doesn't create a console
window.  As a side-effect, mplayer still runs fine under bash, but from
explorer the input system is completely broken.  I found that this can
be fixed by changing config.h to say I have no posix select().  Then the
fifo code is different, and then it works fine.  Isn't that odd?

In any case, things are working now, and a new generation (kinda) of
packages are in testing among my roommates.

More on that business in another thread.

--Joey

--
"Of the seven dwarves, the only one who shaved was Dopey.
That should tell us something about the wisdom of shaving."