[MPlayer-dev-eng] Black frame search status

Brian J. Murrell fd714aac07d16dd1c4bbc425a4ffb100 at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat May 4 22:35:22 CEST 2002

So after a bunch of hacking, I do have a black frame video filter that
works and is quite efficient.  I was going about hooking it into the
mplayer core such that the core would direct the decoding of frames as
fast as CPU would allow,  searching for the black frame when asked and
was quite disappointed in the frame-rate at full CPU speed.  Actually
I was fooled at the beginning.

You see, when I started this, I tried running mplayer with an MPEG
file and "-vo null -benchmark -nosound" and got a tremendous frame
rate.  Well, as it would turn out that is because when using the above
combination of parameters, MPlayer uses the MPEG pass through codec,
which of course, has great frame rates.

When I left off the "-vo null" (to force the use of the libmpeg2
codec) frame rates were not so hot at all.  Same with frame rates for
AVI (about 100fps).

In fact the rates are slow enough on my 800Mhz AMD ThunderBird as to
make this whole idea impractical.  :-(  I can search through 4 or 5
commercials with the 10 and 1 second skip keys I have configured far
faster than 100fps.

The only other thought I had to make something like this work was a
"pseudo-chapter"/bookmark function in MPlayer where MPlayer could be
given a file that contains a list of byte offsets, or more
appropriately frame numbers and could skip from one to another on an
input event.

The chapter/bookmark file could then be created in non-real-time
outboard of MPlayer with a utility, or better yet, could be created by
the capture/encoder during capture time.

Anyway, until I find some time to hack an encoder or an outboard
utility as above, I will have to shove this idea to the back burner.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell