[MPlayer-dev-eng] possible bug in demux_mov.c

Daniel Egger degger at fhm.edu
Mon Apr 21 23:09:53 CEST 2003

Am Mon, 2003-04-21 um 22.03 schrieb Michael Niedermayer:

> > That's plain wrong. Maybe you're confusing it with mmap?
> hmm, i never tried to alloc 2gb ;)
> but the memory returned by malloc seems to just reference the same 4k page of
> zeros until u write to it, at least some benchmark i did behaved very
> different if the memory was memset() after malloc() IIRC

That depends on the allocation strategy of malloc. Some implementations
use a buddy allocator or sparse list logic while others use mmapped
memory.

However I cannot not remember any implementation right now which doesn't
return NULL when it already knows that it won't be able to page the
requested amount of memory (i.e. > physical mem + swap).

--
Servus,
       Daniel