[MPlayer-dev-eng] New inverse-telecine filter

Billy Biggs vektor at dumbterm.net
Thu Dec 4 19:21:06 CET 2003

Tuukka Toivonen (tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi):

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> >TV is always interlaced. :)
>
> Not really. Since movies are broadcasted in PAL so that top and bottom
> fields come from same time instance in the original movie (although a
> real TV would display them at different time instances), for all
> practical purposes, the captured TV frames are progressive.
>
> Ah, but I guess you were talking about NTSC since it was mentioned
> before :)

  Even in NTSC there is 30fps content but it is more rare.  Regardless
your point is a bit silly, the input is really interlaced, you just
happen to know that consecutive fields are from the same point in time,
but you don't know if the chroma hasn't been filtered differently
afterwords, so just using this knowledge on capture is never correct.

  -Billy