[MPlayer-dev-eng] New inverse-telecine filter

Zoltan Hidvegi mplayer at hzoli.2y.net
Thu Dec 4 19:27:02 CET 2003

> Zoltan Hidvegi (mplayer at hzoli.2y.net):
>
> > The problem is that no TV can can properly support NTSC -> YV12
> > conversion, because such a conversion would have to know if a frame is
> > progressive or interlaced.  For a progressive frame, a simple scaling
> > of the chroma plane works, but for interlaced, you have to do
> > interlaced scaling.
>
>   This makes no sense.  From television input, the only sane output is
> interlaced YV12.
>
> > The bug is really in mplayer not supporting 411 TV capture (or 422,
> > but NTSC is really just 411).
>
>   Why do you say that NTSC is just 4:1:1 ?

NTSC have the same vertical chroma resolution as luma, but one quarter
of the horizontal resolution, that's why I say that NTSC is 422, while
YV12 is 420.

Much of the content on TV is originally progressive, broken up to
interlaced fields, such as telecined movies or video from a 30fps
progressive camera.  For such content the progressive content should
be reconstructed, and normal progressive scaling should be used to get
yv12.  But if you have hard interlaced content, you have to do
interlaced scaling.  The TV card cannot figure this all out, the only
right thing to do is to capture in 422 and do some de-interlacing
before the yv12 conversion.

Zoli