[MPlayer-dev-eng] Optimizing mplayer on MIPS

Nicholas Fellows nick at polyprecords.com
Fri Dec 12 21:50:38 CET 2003

What speed is the MIPS board you are using ?

I've done a few tests with MPlayer with Playstation 2 which is also mips
I think the PS2 is 333mhz. I got some mixed results , I actually found that
movies (regardless of codec) tended to run better if their soundtrack
was encoded as MP2. most movies ran fine if you disabled the sound completely.
I am assuming that Mplayer is just using the raw Mips chip and not taking
advantage of any of the PS2's built in hardware, as it can quite obviously
cope with full frame rate video. I also seem to remember, although my memory
is a little thin right now, that the sdl or xv outputs seemed to give the
best results. I am quite excited to follow what you are doing, I cant really
contribute code wise (still learning C) but I am more than willing to do some
benchmarking on the PS2 if you would like. You might also like to take a look
at the PS2Reality Player (if you have access to a ps2 kit) I beleive that is
based on MPlayer, and gives pretty good results (provided the  resolution
isnt too high). ffmpeg was definitely the way to go audio wise, everything
else sucked! In short With some tweaking you can get the odd film to play
perfectly. But most of the stuff I tried was poor to unwatchable. (I am
convinced this need not be the case!)

I have some avi's of the Andromeda Strain which play perfectly on PS2 with the
right command line parameters.

Spec of the file as follows

Forced NON-INTERLEAVED AVI file format.
VIDEO:  [DIV3]  608x320  24bpp  23.98 fps  1194.7 kbps (145.8 kbyte/s)

I should really give you some better info than that, but my ps2 is inaccesible
at the moment (TV in use!)

nick ...

-- Web Developer --

e: nick at polyprecords.com