[MPlayer-dev-eng] deterministic builds

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Fri Dec 19 20:42:55 CET 2003

Hi folks,

im working on an automated buildfarm for our distro
(http://www.linux4geeks.de)

Therefore I require a way to do really deterministic builds -
means hitting automake in its fat ass not to do anythings by itself
but only rely on options given to ./configure.
For building stable and consistent distros its really necessary
that the build process is absolutely reliable.

While playing a while with ./configure i've noticed some things:
(version 1.0.0.2)

* some common automake parameters like --sysconfdir are not supported
* many feature options are only available as --enable-xxx or --disable-xxx
  (the default setting seems not to be supported as explicit parameter)
* there seems to be no way for finding out what build configuration
  configure is in fact using.

Those things are a nightmare for distributors.

regards,
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481