[MPlayer-dev-eng] deterministic builds

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Dec 19 21:19:14 CET 2003

Hi,

> im working on an automated buildfarm for our distro
> (http://www.linux4geeks.de)
>
> Therefore I require a way to do really deterministic builds -
> means hitting automake in its fat ass not to do anythings by itself
> but only rely on options given to ./configure.
> For building stable and consistent distros its really necessary
> that the build process is absolutely reliable.
>
> While playing a while with ./configure i've noticed some things:
> (version 1.0.0.2)

wtf? there is no such version.
the latest is 1.0-pre3, which is <1.0

> * some common automake parameters like --sysconfdir are not supported
> * many feature options are only available as --enable-xxx or --disable-xxx
>   (the default setting seems not to be supported as explicit parameter)
> * there seems to be no way for finding out what build configuration
>   configure is in fact using.

mplayer doesnt use autoshit (auto* tools).
it has own, custom, unique hand-written configure script.

> Those things are a nightmare for distributors.

mplayer is not designed for binary distribution. some time ago it was
even disallowed, now it's allowed but not recommended by us.
users should do customized builds for their cpu, libs and video hardware.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu