[MPlayer-dev-eng] ve_lavc top_field_first for interlaced encoding

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 22 19:15:31 CET 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 06:23:51PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Monday 22 December 2003 16:46, Balatoni Denes wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > This patch sets the top_field_first flag to 1 when encoding into interlaced
> > video - thereby eliminating jerkiness on my standalone dvd player.
> rejected, its as wrong as always setting it to 0

Top field first should be the default for mplayer. IMO here's a
correct way to do it...

1. If the interlaced flag isn't set in the mpi, treat all frames as
   tff (most sources are tff). Optionally override by config var.

2. If the interlaced flag is set, use the tff flag from the mpi to
   decide which to do. Also use the rff flag! Unfortunately this is a
   bit broken, since mencoder can skip/duplicate frames without you
   knowing.... G1 is really really broken.. :(

Rich