[MPlayer-dev-eng] some license/copyright issues
diego at biurrun.de
Sat Dec 27 23:52:03 CET 2003
In the wake of the Debian frustration du jour, I'm currently reviewing
some copyright statements in our source tree and extending the
Copyright file. No, this is not about flaming, don't worry - or don't
get your hopes up.
1) At the top of libvo/vo_sdl.c there is the following statement in the
header of the file:
* Current license is not decided yet, but we're heading for GPL.
* -- old disclaimer --
* A mpeg2dec display driver that does output through the
* Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library. This effectively gives us all
* sorts of output options: X11, SVGAlib, fbcon, AAlib, GGI. Win32, MacOS
* and BeOS support, too. Yay. SDL info, source, and binaries can be found
* at http://slouken.devolution.com/SDL/
License should obviously be GPL, it is based on GPL code after all,
the URL is no longer valid, so is it OK to remove these lines?
2) In vo_sdl.c there is a note that indicates it comes from the OMS
* (was video_out_sdl.c from OMS project/mpeg2dec -> http://linuxvideo.org)
The following line in vo_md5.c and vo_pgm.c:
* video_out_pgm.c, pgm interface
suggests that they also come from OMS. OK to change to
* (was video_out_pgm.c from OMS project/mpeg2dec -> http://linuxvideo.org)
linuxvideo.org seems to be down/broken, so I could not have a look at
their source directly.
3)At the top of osdep/lrmi.[ch] there is the following license
Linux Real Mode Interface - A library of DPMI-like functions for Linux.
Copyright (C) 1998 by Josh Vanderhoof
You are free to distribute and modify this file, as long as you
do not remove this copyright notice and clearly label modified
versions as being modified.
This software has NO WARRANTY. Use it at your own risk.
Original location: http://cvs.debian.org/lrmi/
The URL is invalid and LRMI was seemingly taken from svgalib (which
redistributes LRMI), OK to remove?
Furthermore, we have modified lrmi.c, without labeling the file as
modified, so we are in violation of its license. OK to add something
to the effect of
Modified for use with MPlayer, see the CVS log for details.
If somebody has a better idea for a string to add, please speak up.
More information about the MPlayer-dev-eng