[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Common Opensource codec API

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Dec 28 18:28:33 CET 2003

I haven't read all threads of all MLs (yes, a central point to discuss
that would be a good idea). But let me explain in short why I think a
standardisation, not just of the codec system, is needed.

* It's about not reinventing the wheel for every new project (we all
made mistakes that can now be avoided to others).
* It's about making sure that if a project becomes dead all the work
done on it can be reused easily on another one.
* It's to make sure that once a project get a new feature all other ones
can quickly benefit from it.

Instead of sterile competition between each other (all going the same
way but in parallel not incrementally), we'd rather compete with
commercial products (Quicktime+iTunes, Windows multimedia computers, etc).