[MPlayer-dev-eng] --enable-svga

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 03:36:57 CET 2003

Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> i've configured mplayer w/ --enable-svga and see lots of errors when
> compiling - starting w/ "vga.h not found".
>
> It seems I dont have libsvga installed here. Okay, but shouldn't this
> be checked by configure ?

When you say "--enable-foo", configure assumes that you know what you're
doing and doesn't check. For (almost?) everything which has an
autodetection method, the default is to autodetect, therefore it's
assumed that if the user specifies to enable they don't want
autodetection thinking it knows better than they do and turning it off
anyway.

IOW: This *is* checked by configure, but only when using autodetection,
which --enable overrides. If you want configure to try to detect whether
or not svgalib is on your system, don't tell it --enable.

--
       The Wanderer