[MPlayer-dev-eng] libao2 usage in other projects

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Dec 30 05:22:02 CET 2003

* D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> [2003-12-29 22:08:55 -0500]:

<snip>
> > Sorry, I cant really understand this. What has performance to do w/
> > external libraries. (this does not necessarily mean using shared libraries)
>
> There are perforance penalties for making calls into shared libraries.

Aehm, do you really read my postings carefully ?
I've already said, that external library package does _not_ necessarily
mean using shared libraries. Its trivial to build them as .a and link
them statically just like now. Also it would be trivial to simply copy
it to the mplayer sourcetree.

Normally this would be done automatically in the releases.

<snip>
> > > 2) We dont like external libs for things that should be done
> > > inside the player itself
> > What's the point, if this library is maintained by mplayer folks and
> > provide mplayer's ilbao2 interface ?
>
> You're asking the wrong question. The better questions is why we
> should support using an "external" libao2 if we're the ones writing
> it. There is no good answer.

Because others can use it and so also others will contribute to it.

Why is mplayer an opensource project at all ?

> > If you fear 'bad influence' from other projects, you can still ship a
> > own branch w/ mplayer, which may be replaced by the 'open' branch
> > at build time. (i.e. --with-openao=...)
>
> This is useless added complexity.

No, this is not useless. It allows others using it and contributing to
it without having to cope with other parts of mplayer.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481