[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [matroska-devel] Re: Common Opensource codec API

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Dec 30 06:23:49 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 04:53:10AM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Of course some day, there will be new requirements and new ideas, so the
> old interfaces are not good enough. You see this yourself on G1 vs G2.
> But old interfaces can be adapted into new ones (i.e. vo_SDL + ao_SDL
> - if it worked - solves quite a lot of problems: it supports all
> devices which are supported by SDL - of course not as performant as
> native drivers).

Actually, no. SDL's api is so bad that it makes it impossible to
support correctly, so we're dropping support for SDL in G2. If anyone
wants particular audio or video drivers from SDL to use in G2, we'll
port them individually to libvo2.

> > > What else does libavcodec do ?
> >
> > Mainly it encodes and decodes audio and video. It also contains a
> > horribly slow software scaler (not used by MPlayer, which has a much
> > better GPL'd one, but there for ffmpeg which needs LGPL code) and an
> > optional (GPL) postprocessing implementation.
>
> Well, cant libavcodec be an own (mplayer-related) package - which of
> course if maintained by the same people ?

libavcodec is an entirely separate package, which comes from ffmpeg.
It's not maintained by the MPlayer people; the two projects just have
a couple key developers in common. Until recently it wasn't even
hosted on MPHQ, but it got moved because sourceforge is so bad.

> > Anyway, if you don't even know what libavcodec is, you probably belong
> > on mplayer-users, not mplayer-dev-eng...
> Of course I _do_ know what libavcodec is (although I do not yet know the
> details), but used those rhetoric questions looking forward you're telling
> me, what really your problem is, when libavcodec becomes a own package
> (still shipped w/ the standard mplayer distro).

It already is!!!

I'm sorry, but the thing that annoys me most about you is your
continued refusal to look up the most basic facts while you pretend to
know what the future development direction of movie players should
be...... I find it really hard to respect someone who can't do the
least bit of research before trying to argue a point.

Rich