[MPlayer-dev-eng] some license/copyright issues

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Dec 30 16:08:26 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 10:12:28AM +0100, Romain Dolbeau wrote:
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>

> > IMO vo_sdl should be removed anyway. It's hopelessly broken...
>
> It's also the only one that works for MacOSX (and it works fine).
>
> What's broken ?

SDL doesn't provide a way of querying whether an overlay is available
before actually setting its 'video mode'. Thus, if you go to configure
it and find out overlay isn't available, it's already too late to load
the scale filter for scaling and converting to rgb, and the (very
slow) builtin software scaler in SDL takes over. :(

We won't remove SDL support in G1, but in G2 we're not planning to
include it. SDL is just a horribly bad design. Don't worry, there'll
be a native MacOSX vo driver in its place.

Rich