[MPlayer-dev-eng] deterministic builds

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue Dec 30 16:58:06 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 02:42:21AM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> If rpm could do all these things, please tell me, why do we need make,
> automake and all the other build systems out there ?!

Because rpm has it's job as a package manager, and build systems have
their job as build systems.  It's a clear seperation of duties.

> rpm is not a build system.
> It is a package manager, which can install/uninstall and track fixed
> packages, check some dependencies, etc. But it is not able to build
> software! Therefore it may execute developer supplied scripts, but it
> still acts as a wrapper and it cant really see, whats going on inside.

And the beauty of it is, that it doesn't neeed to see what's going on
inside.  It has tools like ldd to extract needed info from the end.

> Sorry, but it sounds like you're just flaming because
> you dont really see the point.

I doubt many people see the point by now.  Everyone quit caring about
this conversation a long time ago.  We might as well change the subject
line to "[Mplayer-dev-eng] let's correct Enrico".

--Joey

--
All philosophy is naive.