[MPlayer-dev-eng] XCF support

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 3 19:40:52 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 07:25:31PM +0100, Fabian Franz wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 26. Januar 2003 00:16 schrieb Jean-Yves Lamoureux:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was thinking about incorporate XCF (Gimp own format) loading to
> > Mplayer. Here's why :
> >

> I'm not in the MPlayer-Core-Team, but as they don't answer I will ;) ...
>
> We have feature-freeze time, so changes are only allowed to certain parts ...
>
> But as you want to implement a new video decoder, It'll be OK...
>
> Just look at libmpcodecs/vd_gif.c for example ...
>
> It was introduced only some time ago ...
>
> So there are already other animated formats supported, why not also vd_xcf ;-)
>
> So go for it !
>
> And read other Code to start, and read DOCS/tech/* (almost everything can be
> interesting for you)
>
> You should think especially about supporting strides and direct rendering, but
> that is all explained in the docs ...
>
> dr = you render direct to some video-buffer ...
> strides = you update only certain parts of the picture ... (such a
> callback-function)

ARRRRRGGG!!!! NO! Stride means the offset between consecurive lines,
and "supporting strides" means handling the case where stride !=
(width*bytesperpixel). Strides should definitely be supported; in
almost all cases, code that doesn't support them is just broken
(there's no good reason for it not to).

On the other hand, slices = only updating part of a picture with
callback.

Rich