[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS] manpage

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Feb 4 01:07:22 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 06:33:37PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> I've begun re-translating the manpage from scratch (A'rpi found me an X server
> for my EGA - unfortunately:))) And I've stumbled upon this in the manpage,
> at -framedrop option:
>
> Decoding of B frames is also skipped and video filters are not used.
>
> Heh? Never noticed that. (filters)

Whoever wrote that probably doesn't speak very good English. :) What
it should say is that with -framedrop on, mplayer doesn't try to blit
frames to the screen if video is running behind. That means they never
go to the filter layer, so if filters are what's using all your cpu
time, -framedrop will help a LOT!

On the other hand, -framedrop won't help much if you're not using any
filters and your movie doesn't have B frames, since most of the time
is spent decoding (essential) I and P frames.

Rich